Friday, October 12, 2012

KCWC Day 5...Sandbox pants and shirt

Today I have something for my little man!  I really liked my first try at O+S Sandbox pants I made recently, but knew they needed some tweaking for my picky self! :)   I think my mistake the first time was overall making them too big.  This time I sized them down to make the 6-12 month width wise and the 12-18 month length wise to best fit my skinny boy.  I am much happier with the fit this time!


The pants are corduroy and have a cotton waist band with a flat front.  The pockets are lined with the same fabric.  The shirt is from Growing Up Sew Liberated and is the envelope tee.  I have also made this before.  I tried to fix the neckline so it wasn't quite so large as in my first shirt.  I did improve it some, but I am still not super happy with this pattern.  I love the look of lap style shirts on little ones, but don't like when they seem baggy.  I think I'll go back to Dana's 90 minute shirt if I do this style of shirt again.


The hat is upcycled from an old sweater.  I just measure his head and then winged it from there.  I think it turned out pretty good.  At least it covers his ears!  


He is a tough guy to photography right now, I basically just chase him around the yard snapping pictures. :)


 One more picture! I love the blue shirt with his blue eyes.  I am looking forward to lots of wear with both these pieces.


 This has been an interesting week.  I haven't managed to make as much progress as I thought I could.  I've discovered during this week that while I LOVE sewing, I like to do it when I feel like it, not when I have to! My other realization is that I mostly like to sew at nap time and then relax most evening.  I'll have one most outfit for the little guy to post this week.  Thanks for visiting!

5 comments:

  1. Nice! I love corduroy on little boys :) and I've had the same issue with the envelope tee too, my boy's a skinny kid too, so maybe that's part of it. I may need to try Dana's tutorial next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad to know I'm not alone with issues and that pattern. I really should do a 90 minute shirt again, I've learned some things since my last attempt that might be helpful! :)

      Delete
  2. I have twins, one is a skinny minnie and the other weighs 5lbs more, they are both the same height. The tee fits soooo much better on the bigger one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weight really does make a difference! My daughter was a much chunkier baby and it has taken me over a year to get used to clothing a skinny baby!:) And I appreciate the info. I have been hesitant to sew other patterns from the book based off that one pattern.

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I love this outfit on your little guy. Perfect with his eyes, and the colors are great together:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, I love to hear what you have to say! :)