Monday, April 8, 2013

The Anywhere Dress

Oh do I love this new pattern by Andrea of The Train to Crazy!  Is it the latest addition in her Go To Patterns called The Anywhere Dress.  I adore her Go to Dress and have made it many times see here and here.  This new dress is just as great. The highest compliment that you can hear when you sew clothing is "you MADE that!" and I heard that today when I picked Peyton up at preschool.  Another Mom commented on her dress and I said "yeah I made it"! Getting to say that never gets old and totally makes it worth staying up until midnight to finish my vision last night.


I took advantage of Andrea's $1 off coupon on her new pattern (it goes though today, so go get it!) and picked up the pattern over the weekend.  After looking at it I knew it would be an easy sew and I really wanted to make it right away.  I looked though my knit stash and was bummed to not find any 1.5 yard cuts to use which is her fabric requirement for the size 7 I made.  But I do love to use every last inch of fabric so I thought I'd see if a yard would work.  It did!  I folded just enough on the sides to cut the front and back I also squeezed the cuff on there too.  Then re-folded the remaining middle fabric to cut the two sleeves and facings.  YEAH! 


I thought I'd have to add length since I usually do on dresses for Peyton and Andrea mentioned it might need to be longer depending on your preferences but it was just fine and I didn't have to mess with that!  She wore it with leggings to school this morning but we are finally having a bit of spring here and it will be around 70 degrees this afternoon so I had her give me a bare leg look too! :)


I did spend quite a bit of time getting all the stripes to match up but it was worth it!  Stripes bring out my perfectionist tendencies and I just pin like crazy! :)  The fabric was also on the thinner side which isn't what is recommended but I made it work.  Actually I didn't mind the fabric at all.  It was a good way to use it since there is a facing; it helped to "bulk up" the necking and armholes.


Boy am I looking forward to spring, the grass is turning green and we can finally play in the yard again!  I think everyone looks forward to spring, but living in the Midwest where there is more winter than I like makes me so thankful for warm air and sunshine.


 I hope where ever you roam there is some sunshine today, thanks for stopping by! :)



13 comments:

  1. I would totally wear that. Amanda, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you in this dress Caryn, you'd look great! :) Hope our paths cross soon!

      Delete
  2. great write up and beautiful daughter and dress! You make it sound so easy. Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it becomes easy with time and practice. I used to hate sewing with knits and now I love them. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! You sold me on it :) I love that fabric! And you lined those stripes up perfectly!!! Impressive! You certainly can't buy anything with matched stripes!

    Glad you checked to see if your fabric will work. I try to add a little extra in case someone gets a bad or crooked cut (always happens to me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some of my tips on lining up stripes from you! :) I know most patterns have some excess built in but I wasn't sure about a whole half yard. This is actually the first piece of clothing I've cut in quite awhile without any errors, I was really smokin' that evening! :) Thanks again for an awesome pattern!

      Delete
  4. Those stripes are fantastic! Way to go! I'm excited to give this one a try it's on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! You convinced me to buy the pattern.

    Love your blog and your sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stripes are perfectly lined up! I have a striped one cut out and now I'm going to be obsessed haha. This is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I like the challenge of getting stripes right, hope yours turn out just as lovely!

      Delete
  7. I just made one for my girl too and I just love this pattern. love your stripey version.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, I love to hear what you have to say! :)